Thursday, March 22, 2012

What is TUI?

I've just finished reading Difference Matters: Communicating Social Identity by Brenda J. Allen and at the end of the book Allen challenges the reader to create and implement an action plan for communicating the reader's favorite concept from the book.  I've decided to write a blog about what Allen calls TUI or thinking under the influence.  The concept of TUI refers to the unquestioned assumptions and subconscious prejudices that affect our reactive thoughts.  These assumptions and prejudices are formed by the dominant ideologies around us.  To combat TUI, Allen suggests mindfulness.  We have to remember that our first impressions aren't based on societal truths, but rather on socially constructed norms that can be very inaccurate and/or misleading.  

Here's my first TUI story:

I'll admit I was a bit surprised that the custodian for my office on campus was white.  But was really surprised that the same custodian drives an Escalade.  I was TUI.  Dominant ideology socialized me to think that all custodians were working class or poor and that someone of that class could not afford an Escalade.  I assumed I knew this person's social class just because I knew what their job was.  And I assumed that the make and model of the car meant this person was in a different social class as well.  When the truth of the matter is that knowing the job and the car, I don't know the social class and shouldn't assume that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment